Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2026

 

OFF GRID ISN'T LONELY - IT'S A LIFESTYLE

Post 66 - September 17th, 2026

I like to be alone. Being on my own has a great peace and tranquility component that I really do cherish, and I mean really and truly cherish. Being alone works for me, now, has that always been the case, in some ways I reckon yes, I have always valued my own company. 

But with that said, being social across my 71+ years and having gutsy meaningful chats and interaction with others is always a real plus, I do actually enjoy company and in ways I thrive around it. The balance is a key; I get to choose, alone or not alone?

So, can I be in a good spot on my own without company at this stage of my life? Because moving back to live off grid at Lake Burrumbeet certainly means I will be living alone, being on my own in nature and really spending countless hours in my own company. 

But living alone in that off grid physical sense is way different to being alone in your own mindset. Totally different. Physically it is awkward given where I am with my health, and mentally the black dog can very quickly sneak in and make things emotionally crap. But putting a fun spin on this as I need to do at times, by living alone it will allow me to play detective, finally I can assess who it is that always eats my leftovers!

On a serious note, being alone with your own mind and emotional instability is not something everyone can master. Having no physical contact for days on end, weeks on end is really testing and can set the mind headed down some awkward dark pathways. Too much time alone to think and over think adds a sometimes-dangerous mindset that can lead to depression and thoughts that are boarding on getting self-damaging. 

For me though, I cope ok. I handle isolation very well and with my cognitive decline linked to this Lewy Body Dementia then being alone actually has a number of up sides. I only have me to worry about in any given moment, if I forget or get confused in my mind the damage is limited. And I feel better with that because the embarrassment created by the LBG cognitive decline is just my issue in that moment. I don't feel like I dragged anyone into my crap life void.

And in the isolation of being out on the lake is not as bad as it may sound. Technology helps, of course it does and I embrace it in most forms. I have the internet, I have a phone to chat and message with others, my Smart Watch is a good companion, I have Facebook, YouTube and social media in a number of forms and of course I can have people visit my camp or I can always have time with and around others away from camp. 

Meaning, for my mind this allows me to get into a decent spot, I treasure my own company and almost thrive on just having John as company, but I have a safety net with help just the push of a button away.

Now, does being alone at the camp come with sadness, yes, at times it comes with great sadness. Throw in a state of heavy depression and ill health and that sadness becomes very heavy, very strong and at time overwhelming. But that feeling is not forever, no way. For the most part being alone simply feels ok and in that moment of being alone is all I need to be in a good spot for me. And yes, as said, in a spot of danger, help is always close at hand.

With all that said, for those who know me will understand I have a love of God and He is always with me, that is a given. I can talk to Him at any time and feel His presence. God is an ever-present feeling and that gives me an enormous boost at all times, even in the down times He is the same God, so I have Him as comfort. He helps me through the darkness.

Now, of course, being alone does not mean I can simply remove all my personal responsibilities in life. There are still things that life requires me to do, like caring how others are doing with me being off grid at the camp, those who care about me and worry for me. Dealing with my health and possibility of the LBD being an issue out at camp means I need to be fully aware I have others in the loop who need to know I am safe. So yep, life requires me to be a participant.

But being alone means you don't need to go to the supermarket every day hoping you will bump into someone you know. No, being alone is being on my own, with me, my thoughts, my feelings and my understanding of what makes me tick. At first, that might seem weird but as you get to know me it gets worse. I have made being alone an art form and it is my choice. that is of my doing, and that is fine. 

I have always noted and shared that my end days would be spent in nature, being on my own, living on the riverbanks near the Murray or as is now the case, on the shores of lake Burrumbeet near Ballarat living alone in my camp. 

But as time ticks down and I get close to being back off grid in nature my mind does give some doubtful thoughts. Sometimes as I sit to reflect on my new journey to the lake, I do get scared. I know my health is deteriorating, old age being a part of that, but my steps are getting shorter; I move slower and I move with a look that tells of pain. And the cognitive jumble in my head means I am in a spot where time living alone off grid will really test.

But here I am, now just under a fortnight, 13 days in fact before I load the jalopy for moving to Lake Burrumbeet. Well, that is the count using the currant moving date, Monday September 28th, but that could change a few days either way depending on external issue like weather.

But seriously I do have conflict within myself. I know for my sanity I need to give this trip to the lake my best shot, do all I can to make it work, to make it possible. Because it will be my last try. 

Yet I also know that my health is questionable, and I do understand and respect that possibly I am not strong enough physically or alert enough mentally to make this all work out safely on my own. However, as said, I need to at least try, if it works, wahoo, how good, if not, ok I will need to accept that but, on the understanding, I tried and gave it my best shot.

And for anyone interested, my time at Lake Burrumbeet from September 28th will be recorded through a Facebook page, Camp Beet ... you will probably get an invite through Facebook at some time but if not the link to the page is below, it is accessible but is still being developed ...

Facebook - Camp Beet

The planning for this stay at the lake that I am hoping covers about eight months has been extraordinary. From the day I moved back to the unit in Wendouree on June 8th planning began, and over the next 100 days I have poured my heart and soul into making sure I cover all my bases to get myself super prepared for the return to camp. 

I have to make this stay at Lake Burrumbeet work; I am running out of time with the LBD slowly claiming my wellbeing and my life is now rather, let's say, affected. This stay at the camp just has to work. Ruth is of the belief I cannot do it, her thought is I am not well enough to be doing this stay and I understand where she is coming from. 

Ruth spends so much time with me, and she can clearly see how my life has become a bit of a mess, physically and certainly mentally as my cognitive smarts shrink. So, I know her thoughts are valid, however she knows how important this stay is to me and she will support me logistically in any way she can. This will not about proving her wrong, far from it, but I do hope with all my heart that she is wrong. Because if I fail, yeah, not a good thing to be considering.

Meaning it is so important that I prepare perfectly, with my physical health being rather average and my LBD cognitive jumble have the best possible prep is a key to being able to stay at the lake. If I go without having things totally planned the stay will be short and miserable. It will end as a mess. 

I have recorded the preparation meticulously and having those notes has helped so much heading into the move. And much to the delight of Ruth, I even became a list man. Can you believe that? John and lists should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence.

I made lists, lists on all forms of equipment, bits and pieces, camping products, garden needs, everything, yeah, so many lists. And as an added bonus I went so far as to a have a list of lists. See Ruth, change is possible, but still you mock. Oh, and for the record, Ruth do you know I love Zucchini, it is my favourite vegetable, always has been, always will be! Over ...

And my planning included planting a garden in and around my camp site at Lake Burrumbeet. Ruth and I have spent a number of days back at the camp since I left on June 8th for me to plant and plan the garden. It has been a work in progress and it takes shape; sure, it is just a draft at this stage but once I am back living at the lake then the garden will be further developed. Having gardening as a camp activity is something I look forward to so much, it will be a massive boost to my mentality. 

At camp I am never bored, there is always things to do, and my time is always well used across many disciplines. Now, by adding the garden idea will be huge as a hobby but also as a way to make the camp look more user friendly. It will add so much to the whole area and gardening is one of my life superpowers. I get my love for gardening from my dear mum, Joan Green.

Being off grid and in nature is pure bliss but the domestic side of life is still a necessity. The question I am asked most is, 'what do I do all day?' but there is really more to do at camp than at the unit, Chores need to be done, being at camp still requires a daily upkeep, but for me that is a plus, I am known at the camp as Domestic Man! Ok, they actually know me as Pee Bag Man, but I have adjusted that name to better suit my narrative

So thankfully, my next off grid adventure is now in sight, it is so close to being a real thing, bring it on. And to all family, friends and others, despite my talk about being alone please note that everyone is welcome to come visit my camp, anytime, please if you are in my area come pay a visit, if you are passing Ballarat again, please detour and hit me up at camp. That would be so good, I will warm the set and cool the tinnies.

And there it is, another post finished ... my blog JonnyG Remembers has allowed me to record this LBD journey and writing each post has been great therapy and mentally it lets me combine my love of writing with the medical time spent in this LBD world ... and for the record, the blog has now had just over 64,000 views, so thanks to everyone who follows my journey, I do appreciate each and every one of you ...

So, as I always do let's finish up this post with a JonnyG laugh ... hey, TV is not something I take with me when off grid, no interest at all, but I did chuckle at this one ... Black is a colour, white is a colour, so why isn't a black and white TV a colour TV?

____________________________________


Looking at life and event in pics

Avaia Rose, my granddaughter is 4 months ... she was born in Perth on April 24th, Mitchell Thomas my second son is her dad ... the pic above shows Mitchell at 4 months, December 2002 at O'Sullivan Beach in South Australia and then Avaia at 4 months August 2026 ... so on Father's Day 2026 I am now a dad of three boys Bradely James, Mitchell Thomas and Jacob Edwin and a granddad of one granddaughter, Avaia Rose, my heart is full, I am truly blessed ...

And with help from an AI app this movie poster was made, it is just a bit of fun but I do really like it ... Avaia Rose, The First Light ...

_______________________________________________

FATHERS DAY IN PICS

Happy Father's Day James Edwin Green ... I was fortunate to have my dad in my life for 65 years, that was such a blessing in so many ways ... dad was born in Port Broughton South Australia on September 27th, 1928, and passed away in Barmera in South Australia on November 21st, 2019, he was 91 ...

Jimmy Green ... he led an extraordinary life; he was a clever and talented bloke on so many front, he easily made friends and was popular in both the Green and Danvers families and had an enormous friendship base across his many walks of life ... the pics above show Jimmy with three very important people, important in his life, first is Ivan Nancarrow a lifelong friend, Ivan and Jimmy were mates from early childhood days growing up in Mundoora and Port Broughton ... the second pic is Ned Sawtell, another lifelong mate, another Port Broughton lad, Jimmy and Ned did school days, Police force days and navy days as mates ... and the third pic is Geoff Danvers, he is a brother to my mum, Jimmy and Geoff first met in Barmera in 1944 and were mates until dad passed...

Funeral day for Jimmy Green in Barmera November 2019 ... it was a great send off, a grave side service then a wake at the Barmera Monash Football Club, dad would have loved the funeral service and there is no doubt the wake was something he would have approved of ... Jimmy Green, we all miss you so much

My sister Jan sent me these pics on Father's Day, she visited the Barmera Cemetery to place flowers for our dad, James Edwin Green ... Jan never misses an important date for either mum or dad, she does a great job keeping memories alive, she is a very loyal and very thoughtful daughter and sister, thank-you Janice Mary ...



No comments:

Post a Comment

  OFF GRID ISN'T LONELY - IT'S A LIFESTYLE Post 66 - September 17th , 2026 I like to be alone. Being on my own has a great peace and...