Pages

Thursday, July 6, 2023

 NERVOUS SYSTEM CHANGES MAKE ME RATHER NERVOUS

Post 23 - July 6th 2013

One of the things I am learning in this Lewy Body Dementia journey centres around what is known as autonomic changes.

It is a part of the unconscious nervous system that controls and regulates involuntary processes.

From my understanding this can affect a number of areas in the body but for me the biggest change has been in how my body regulates temperature.

It seems I am forever cold, even when it is not cold. 

That in itself is no huge deal but I am learning that the big picture with these autonomic changes is about the effect on the overall nervous system. And that does raise some alarm bells for me. I get very nervous about change.

Because it also seems from what I read that Parkinson's Disease is embedded in this somehow and if so, that would really change my outlook on the LBD journey.

So, my understanding is that it is medically understood that autonomic change can happen in three areas of the body, regulating temperature, urination/bowel movements and heart rhythm. And I reckon I can see all three in my daily life.

The being cold thing for me is awkward. I mean, this winter has been so darn cold and wet anyhow, it is just relentless with the cool weather. But the cold I feel seems to come from within. Getting warm from the cold is of course possible, heating works and at night a nice warm bed is a key. 

But I still shiver, I am still cold. It is hard to navigate a way around it

And I can feel this inward cold even when the days and nights are warmer. So, yeah, cold is cold but this is something different. It is no fun.

And it does fit with this autonomic change that can be a part of LBD. 

Now, using this one example of autonomic change, I question is my nervous system messing with how the body regulates its own temperature? The answer is, it seems so.

Does it then also apply, for me, to the urination and heart rhythm areas as mentioned?

Well, the urination issues I have, it seems, are definitely impacted by this autonomic connection. 

Sure, at 68 and being a male, then naturally I would have some problems with pee frequency. And after having two heart attacks in November 2019 then I am now addicted to the 'wee' tablets that help me pass fluid each and every day. At this point I take 3 fluid tablets daily.

So yeah, I pee a lot. But I know how my pee time affects my own body, the fluid I now carry with what is 'heart failure' means I do pass copious amounts of urine. That is a given.

However, the numbers of times I pee in a day can far exceed even the old age and fluid issue from the heart failure understanding. Yet, that is not every day. For me, that means the autonomic connection exists, I am able to work that out for myself. The numbers of times I pee in a day is always high but some days is far higher than others. 

With my bowels, no drama, I am as regular as clockwork. No crap.

Heart rhythm. Here we do have a problem. My heart does have an awkward rhythm issue.

Is it because of this autonomic thought? I am not sure. I guess knowing about this issue of what the autonomic thing brings to the table, then I have to see the connection with my heart rhythm issues.

It is directly possible for me to see how this thing works. And despite the cold, the pee problems and the heart flutters being an added bummer, I am at least glad to know that medically it is a real thing. 

Well, it sure seems that way. Because that thought about feeling better once a diagnosis is available does apply for me here.

I am guessing that Doctor Google can scare people in many health areas, so I am cautious about things medical I read on the net.

But this autonomic understanding is a part of Dementia teaching here in Australia and throughout the medical teaching world, so I am giving lt some credence to what I read and learn. I take, from that, this looks to be more involved than just listening to Doctor Google.

It is all rather complex. The Parkinson link and how it makes me nervous, that is for another post.

To read and learn more about autonomic changes with Lewy Body Dementia click on the link below.

Lewy body disease 5 - Autonomic (involuntary) changes in Lewy body disease (dementia.org.au)

Thanks again for checking in, I do appreciate each and every one of you who regularly take time to have a read of the blog. Remember, it is how I see my LBD journey unfold, it is what I believe I experience be that good or not so good.

And for the record, the view count for the JonnyG Remembers blog is headed towards 11,000.

Go Cats ...

Finally, on this post, as I do each time, this is my funny outtake ...

Male nervousness: When your partner asks you do you notice something new about her ... and you don't




No comments:

Post a Comment

  EMOTIONAL COMPLEXITIES OF PROSTATE REMOVAL  Post 50 - Thursday September 26th 2024 One of the most damaging medical interventions a man ca...