Pages

Friday, November 3, 2023

WHERE'S JONNY WALLY

Post 33 - November 9th 2023

Melbourne Cup Day 2023 was rather special, darn special in fact. I was at Flemington with over 83,000 race-goers to take in one of the great days on the Aussie sporting calendar. And the day certainly delivered, very special.

Lots of fun, so much excitement and so many people. This day had it all. The track action was full on, the crowd was busy and boisterous, it was hot, very hot but it lived up to everything I had hoped it may be.

And Ruth and I had a horse run. Team Captain went around in The Maccas Run and while it was not the Melbourne Cup it was just the biggest thrill to have a runner on this iconic day of racing. Our TRL Vic Hussler ownership group gathered at Flemington more hopeful than confident, and our boy did his best to finish fifth without really looking likely to win. 

But for this racing tragic, knowing we had a horse run on cup day at Flemington was the stuff of dreams. Not the result we maybe dreamed for, but it is what it is. And what a buzz.

This was only my third Melbourne Cup Day, I swam through the big wet of 1976 and I was on track again in 1982 cheering home Gurner's Lane who ran down the great Kingston Town. Both previous cup days were during a different part of my life, I was able to embrace the time so as to make the absolute most of what was on offer. Great days indeed.

But life changes and while I still embrace my time, I do know I am in trouble. My Lewy Body Dementia battle will not end well, it will be messy, and I can only hope that is still some years away. I am in an ok spot given how much my cognitive decline is noted personally and how it is changing how my head works.

So, why even do days like Tuesday when you know the effort required both physically and mentally will be very trying? Why put yourself through the ringer, why not just stay in and have an easy time? 

Well, risk v benefit is probably the easiest way to tackle that thought.

Look, I know I am living in a mental fog at times, I am not who I once was, the cognitive change is awkward. So it was a risk.

Yet, I can still function pretty well, I have a limit on the hours in a day that I can stay afloat, but I have adapted well and can generally make life interesting. And for the most part life is still fun.

So, the benefit of the fun and being able to enjoy these times does for now far outweigh the awkwardness that inevitably follows.

Look, I know behind the scenes I am somewhat of a mess, I know what is happening and I know I am slowly deteriorating mentally. But I do still wish to be able to enjoy life for as long as physically and mentally possible. And life is ok, life is for living.

Knowing my limitations and what sort of recovery is needed after a day like Tuesday is both good and not so good, I am still very much able to stay afloat for the most part but yeah, I get very down with the tough times. I feel depressed with how I am slipping in life.

Because what you see is not what you get. I can present really well, and I am in a good spot. But I do know it does not last and my day can fall apart rather quick. Hey, that is ok, I am dealing with things as best I can, I am not done yet, far from it. But for me, I know how much I have regressed with the LBD and I do not like the signs. So, I can fudge things to make the world see me well, see me in a good spot but yeah, underneath it can be a different story.

My confidence is taking a battering and life does have some rather awkward moments. 

Now, how did the cup day go? It was a long day, hard on my swollen feet, it was very hot which made things harder, I certainly had some Where's Jonny Wally moments but really, with good help from those around me it went remarkably well.

I was able to engage in conversation, even with some new ownership members I met and chatted with. I don't believe I lost my train of thought, I mixed ok, I got around ok, yeah, my thinking is that I performed at my best.

Sure, I had good help with the logistical side but I came away from the day believing I did good.

And it was fun as said, exciting and special. Massive mental planning was needed but we all made it through. Really though, the day went without much incident, and I know it will be a day I can cherish as things now get rather tough. Good memories were certainly created.

The road trip across to Melbourne and back made the time away even better. We love to travel and spend many hours rolling along the highway. It was good to be on the road again.

For now, back here at Camp Bunyip I am tested. After three days of concentration and delivering strategies to stay focused and stay safe I am having a day of funny little faux pas. Nothing serious, just some rather odd moments. I am tired and weary, and recovery is slow. I sort of drop my guard a touch and just chill. My mind gets some R&R time.

Was it all worth it? Oh yeah, and then some. Sure, it is not much fun just now, I am sore, tired as said and once the adrenaline slows then my mood is low leaving me feeling rather flat and jaded. But this pattern is not new and while the recovery time is slow, the good parts to the trip definitely trump this flat time.

For now, I will debrief as required and allow myself the luxury to take the time to bounce back. 

In tough times I believe that the best option for me is to make the most of these good days and try to minimise the recovery days. It is a roller coaster and rather tough time, but I intend to continue to go out and do all I can. If that means some messy incidents and flat periods, ok then, so be it. I look forward to more Where's Jonny Wally moments and say, bugger it, bring it on.

There you have it, another post completed here on the JonnyG Remembers blog.

So, from all of this I can deduct that my race is not run as yet, the nation has not stopped. I will have a short spell in the paddock and return to the track as soon as I am fit enough to give it another go. Watch this space.

Thanks for checking in, as always, I appreciate everyone who has a read and follows my LBD journey. Nearing 17,500 views, I reckon that is rather special. To pen my thoughts and describe my time as this cognitive decline unfolds is massive for me, mentally it is great therapy.

Footy, just 126 more sleeps and the Cats are back to seek redemption for the disappointments of 2023 season. Go Cats.

Now I will head off and leave you with a JonnyG life hack, not the normal funny thought. Oh, and the pics below show the road trip and Melbourne Cup Day fun for Ruth and I.

In my younger party days, I knew the only way to avoid a post Melbourne Cup Day hangover was to stay drunk, and I'm happy to say that I succeeded every year, I was the GOAT ... follow me for more life hacks ...

_______________________________________


Team Captain in the mounting yard at Flemington on cup day, what a thrill ... our trainer Matt Cumani over at the stalls pre-race ... chatting with the late great Bart Cummings about Comic Court and Jimmy ... and the famous 'Balaklava' jockey pies were in abundance in the owner's lounge at Flemington ...


Our TRL Vic Hussler ownership group at Flemington ... Chez, Peter, random 1, Helen, Matt Cumani (trainer) Ruth, Ross, John, Chrissy, Luke, random 2 ... ah, that's our Karen, she da' girl ... Swooper from Ballarat ... John and Chrissy ...


Team Captain was the star of the day ... in the mounting yard as Declan Bates is legged up ... on the way onto the track ... with Holly Rose his special strapper ... oh, and that pic again, in the yard, but it is a good look ...


The Vic Husslers gather for cup day at Flemington ... Ross Cusack, John Green, Ruth Hall, Bill Evans from WA, he was at Flemington for the first time and Brett Philipp 


BBQ dinner on cup eve with Ross and Fiona at Cheltenham, great night, great food ... races ready on cup day ... the Bart Cummings statue at Flemington is the go-to meeting place for the ownership group, John, Ross and Ruth ... at Flinders Street Station on cup day ...  


The Melbourne Cup road trip ... smoko break at Green Hill Lake on the trip across, a lunch break on the way back to Camp Bunyip and back in SA ....



No comments:

Post a Comment

  EMOTIONAL COMPLEXITIES OF PROSTATE REMOVAL  Post 50 - Thursday September 26th 2024 One of the most damaging medical interventions a man ca...